This blog is both an attempt on my part to better document all the fun and notable things happening in my life as a composer as well as to share all the insight, lessons, and tricks I've learned along the way. Comments and discussion are always welcome.

Saturday, March 12, 2011

News | Projects Abound

One of the things I love about being a film composer is the diversity of the challenges you are presented with every new project. Today I met with a producer from USC who is making a short film entitled "Intersection," which tells a story about the strained relationship between a father and a son. We come to find out that the father is a drag queen. The son, who doesn't know, discovers the truth in a very brutal, yet poignant moment. My job is to write a night club-worthy song for the father to sing in his drag show which will play through a montage and into him singing on stage. The recording will take place on April 1st at USC's Spielberg Scoring stage. Look for a post of the finish product. 

I also received word this week that I'll be doing an arrangement for the Gay Men's Chorus of Los Angeles, one of the country's largest men's choral ensembles. They need me to do a medley of two songs: "Running Up that Hill", written by Kate Bush recorded by Placebo, and "Live to Tell" by Madonna. The group does very thoughtful and narrative programs; my two songs will be at the end of a tribute to the over 200 members that were lost to AIDS in the 1980s. This also is due by April 1 so it can be rehearsed for their summer concert, which I believe will happen sometime in June. I of course will post info as I learn it. 

Both of these projects along with the completion and recording of my choral piece and the collection of pieces for contrabass and harp will make March 2011 the most productive month I've had in recent memory. Stay tuned for updates and new music. 

No comments:

Post a Comment