This blog is both an attempt on my part to better document all the fun and notable things happening in my life as a composer as well as to share all the insight, lessons, and tricks I've learned along the way. Comments and discussion are always welcome.

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Commission Complete


On January 10, 2010, I posted a blog entry detailing a commission I received from a man from northern California who had me set a sonnet he wrote for his anniversary. Today I am thrilled to report that I have completed it. I confess this was quite a challenge for me. This sonnet was particularly tough because I found its rhythm to not be innately musical, rather I really had to make up and force out what I felt to be an appropriate rhythm and phrasing. For me, choral music is about harmony even more so than melody so I needed to find the appropriate harmonic language for the piece to live in. I wrote the opening three times before I landed in a harmonic palette that I liked. In terms of form, some composers are planners in that they like to map out their structure before they write anything. I like to allow the piece to develop as it goes. Sometimes I'll have ideas for certain spots that I will write down and then work to arrive there, but in general the piece is being birthed measure by measure, phrase by phrase. With this text I felt strongly that we're being taken somewhere, so I didn't feel compelled to keep any kind of song structure, that is a strict return to opening material. The music, like the text, finishes somewhere different from where it starts, though I did make it a point to use the opening phrase ("to true love") in its original key at the end of the piece. I felt that a harkening onto the title/premise would be important in rounding the piece out and giving us closure, but I vary the harmony, melody, and texture up until the very end. 

The most exciting part about this is that the piece will be recorded with a choir in Arizona on March 22. My dear friend Rob Gardner is helping me out by assembling a group of 12 professionals who I know will do great justice to the work. Be sure to check back here then as I will most certainly be posting the recording. 

No comments:

Post a Comment