This blog is both an attempt on my part to better document all the fun and notable things happening in my life as a composer as well as to share all the insight, lessons, and tricks I've learned along the way. Comments and discussion are always welcome.

Saturday, February 5, 2011

HOPping Along

Life as a composer often takes utilizing a variety of skills to make a living. I am blessed to have worked at C. F. Peters Corporation for nearly three years where I acquired many many useful skills, including the art of music engraving and copying. For those who might not know what this is, basically it's the art of creating/formatting scores and parts for performance - musicians do after all need something to play from, yes?

I've brought this skills set with me to Los Angeles where I not only do freelance engraving gigs, but have the fortune of working for a copying firm as a proofreader. This week we are working on the motion picture HOP, an animated film from Universal scheduled for release in April. The office is a team setting, which I have to say is a welcome change from the solitude that is so often necessary for the work of a composer. It also happens to be a delightfully fun group of people, which makes it all the more enjoyable. This is the kind of job that will take over one's life for up to 5 days with potentially grueling hours, but once it's done, it's done, and I am then able to go back to my own work. A truly ideal situation for a creative professional.

No comments:

Post a Comment