This blog is both an attempt on my part to better document all the fun and notable things happening in my life as a composer as well as to share all the insight, lessons, and tricks I've learned along the way. Comments and discussion are always welcome.

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Failing History with Subway

Today was a screening at USC for a student web series project done in conjunction with Subway. Numerous student groups pitched ideas for a series and ultimately two were chosen to receive funding to produce three episodes that would subsequently be posted on the internet. I had the fortune of being involved with one of the two, entitled "Jeff and Ravi Fail History" directed by the wonderful and incredibly talented Dan Hanna. This is the first web series I've done and I must say it was a lot of fun.

The compositional process is different with every director. For this project, since there was no budget and little time, we opted to stick to just synth instruments. This is something I rarely do these days, but being that it was intended for the web, I was ok with it. Dan and I took a very collaborative approach in that he came to my studio on two different occasions and we went through the music together, making adjustments, trying news sounds, etc. It was actually quite a lot of fun - both efficient and harmonious. Dan trusted my judgement as a composer and I respected his wishes as a director. An ideal pairing for any composer.

Overall I'm very pleased with the outcome. You can view the first of three episodes below. Follow the link to find the other two. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment