This blog is both an attempt on my part to better document all the fun and notable things happening in my life as a composer as well as to share all the insight, lessons, and tricks I've learned along the way. Comments and discussion are always welcome.

Monday, January 10, 2011

News | Choral Commission

I just today finalized plans to write an unaccompanied choral piece for a gentleman in Davis, California, Andrew Proudian, who wishes to have a sonnet he wrote set to music as a gift to his spouse for their anniversary. He and his significant other have been singing in choirs for years and so such a gift will be particularly special for them.

The sonnet, titled "To Love's True Eyes", will be premiered in Davis on their Anniversary, April 1, 2010.


To true love's eyes my thoughts are strongly wed
That she makes up the whole of all my sight
And with her loss my vision will be dead
So brightest day shall seem as darkest night
Her scent and taste do so enthrall me too
More sweetly pleasing than ambrosia's kiss
When she is near all scents my senses woo
But her without, most fragrant rose I miss
Last two in kind, my hearing and my touch
With her plush velvet harmony are bound
That losing her in love I lose so much-
No silk's embrace nor music's beauteous sound
Her charms my senses do so well defend
Bereft of her I face all pleasures end


Sonnets pose a challenge for composers due to their particular rhythm and rhyme scheme. Luckily I love challenges and am thrilled to be writing choral music.

No comments:

Post a Comment