This blog is both an attempt on my part to better document all the fun and notable things happening in my life as a composer as well as to share all the insight, lessons, and tricks I've learned along the way. Comments and discussion are always welcome.

Sunday, November 7, 2010

An Evening with Seth MacFarlane

Ok, it's not quite what you think. This evening was the RMALA's annual benefit auction and dinner. Normally the event costs a small fortune to attend, but I was very lucky to be able to partake for free thanks to a few very generous friends. I was also able to take my dear friend and esteemed counterpart Sherri Chung, who made a fantastic date. The draw of this year's benefit was, you guessed it, Seth MacFarlane performing with his jazz big band. The event was held at the Biltmore Hotel in downtown Los Angeles - an incredibly ornate and luxurious venue reminiscent of the Plaza Hotel in NYC. Needless to say it was a very memorable evening. All of LA's best players, contractors, and composers were in attendance. Much socialization occurred, business cards given out, and of course hearing Seth perform is such a treat. I even got to reconnect with a composer friend, Blake Neely, who treated me and Sherri to a fabulous night out after the event.

For those of you who might not be aware, Seth MacFarlane is very highly regarded in the Los Angeles music scene because he is such a huge proponent of live music. All three of his animated sitcoms have live union sessions for every episode, not to mention all the performances and things he does with his own big band. Because of Seth, many musicians are working and feeding their families. He was given an award at the end of the night for the support he gives to the musicians of LA.

My one regret? I didn't get a chance to tell Seth I have a crush on him. Such a pity. ;-) Many thanks to Rob Brophy and Peter Rotter for making the evening possible for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment