This blog is both an attempt on my part to better document all the fun and notable things happening in my life as a composer as well as to share all the insight, lessons, and tricks I've learned along the way. Comments and discussion are always welcome.

Thursday, November 11, 2010

At the Scoring Stage with Blake Neely

Tim Davies conducting

This week I had the incredible pleasure of being invited to a session of composer Blake Neely at Warner Brothers studios. Blake is fantastic composer who has made a niche in TV, currently scoring three hit TV shows: The Mentalist, Brothers and Sisters, and, the session I was attending, No Ordinary Family. The show has a budget for a weekly session of about 50 players (strings, woodwinds, brass, timpani, and harp) - a dream gig for any composer. Blake's session was everything I like about Blake - organized, calm, and a total blast. Everyone was at ease, laughing, having a good time, and reveling in the music-making process. My kind of session.

I can't tell you how inspiring it is to see working composers using live musicians on a weekly basis. It is a rare treat that I hope is on its way back to becoming the standard in our business. TV is a serious test in speed and organization for composers, particularly when sessions are involved. Typically one has a week or less between when one gets the final cut of the show and when one gets on the scoring stage. It is nuts - there is no room for sloppiness. Sessions move lightning fast in order to get what needs to be done done. Blake's session went off without a hitch - utterly professional, no messing around. Definitely something to admire and to strive for.

No comments:

Post a Comment